Having a carpet in your home implies that you are responsible for its upkeep. Since carpets usually cost more than a pocketful, going for a replacement within a short interval is definitely not feasible in terms of time, money and effort. A better option would be to learn how to deep clean your carpet and take care of it routinely. Doing so will not just prolong your carpet’s lifespan but also preserve its appearance.
Deep cleaning of carpet is equivalent to spring cleaning your home. Just like the way you spring clean your home by scrubbing every nook and corner, deep cleaning of carpet entails going beyond the surface. Indeed it is much more thorough as compared to superficial cleaning that is provided by a vacuum cleaner.
How About Vacuum Cleaning?
Many homeowners believe that vacuum cleaning of carpet once in a while is all that is required to keep it clean. While this is indeed essential for getting rid of loose dirt, the impact hardly extends beyond the topmost layer. Removal of deep-seated dirt, pollen and stains call for an application of more rigorous techniques like steam cleaning and deodorization, all of which form a part of deep cleaning protocol.
Why Should You Deep Clean Your Carpet?
Think of your carpet as a catch basin for all dust, dirt, pollen and pet hair that find their way into your home. These contaminants settle into the pile of the carpet and are often out of reach of the vacuum cleaner.
Deep Cleaning of carpet is essential to ensure –
Rigorous cleaning methods like steam cleaning and deodorising that form a part of deep cleaning protocol go beyond the surface. So the level of cleaning is thorough to the point of removing deep-seated dirt that can cause your carpet.to age prematurely.
Better Quality of Indoor Air
Your family’s health stands to benefit immensely from deep cleaning, especially if a member suffers from allergy due to pet hair, pollen or dander. By extracting these pollutants, deep cleaning improves the quality of indoor air, thus creating a healthier environment for your family.
Procedure for Deep Cleaning Your Carpet
As compared to routine carpet cleaning, deep cleaning is a lot more rigorous and time-consuming. The step-by-step procedure is described as follows:
1. Relocate All Furniture
- Before you begin, relocate all furniture to another room so that they do not cause any hindrance.
- Ignoring this step could cause you to stop the procedure midway just to drag a piece of furniture out of the way.
- In case it is impossible to remove the furniture, place a protective barrier like a cube or a piece of fitted aluminium foil between the feet and the carpet.
- This would prevent furniture legs from getting wet and staining the carpet.
2. Vacuum Slowly and Thoroughly
- You need to spend more time running the vacuum over the carpet.
- To make sure you do not miss any spot, consider separating carpet flooring into sections and focus on vacuum cleaning one section at a time.
- Run the vacuum over each section at least three times slowly and meticulously.
- Vacuum cleaning is an important step in deep cleaning because shampooing or steam cleaning the carpet with dirt, mud and other substances still stuck in the pile will only push them deeper into the fibres.
- This procedure would ensure that all the unwanted dirt will have been drawn out of the carpet by the vacuum cleaner.
3. Test Your Carpet Cleaner
- Before you use your carpet cleaner, you must ensure that it will not cause discolouration.
- Pick a corner of your carpet to test the product.
- Spray a small amount of the solution onto a small white towel and blot it onto the carpet.
- If the carpet retains its colour, it means that you can go ahead and use the product.
4. Treat the Stains
- Did your child spill juice on the carpet or did your guest accidentally topple a glass of wine?
- Do not ignore the stains. Irrespective of whether they are recent or old, it is important to treat them individually before you clean the entire carpet.
- If you have a commercial carpet stain remover, simply follow the directions and treat the stains accordingly.
5. Steam-Clean the Carpet
- Steam cleaning is the most crucial step in this procedure.
- If your carpet bears old stains and is home to stubborn dirt and grime, steam cleaning is the most effective technique to get rid of them.
- If you have decided to steam clean the carpet yourself, being aware of the proper method is a must since a lack of knowledge could lead to further damage.
- To begin steam cleaning, mix the right amount of hot water and carpet cleaner in the container.
- Alternatively, you can skip the carpet cleaner and opt for white vinegar instead.
- Like vacuum cleaning, steam cleaning should be carried out section-wise to make sure that the entire carpet is covered.
- Every time the water turns dirty, replace it and repeat the process till you have covered the entire carpet.
- You must focus on high traffic areas and particularly on the dirty spots.
- Rinse the carpet and allow it to dry completely before moving the furniture in.
6. Deodorise Your Carpet
- Carpets are liable to emit bad odours, especially after having suffered spills, even though steam cleaning will have removed the particles already.
- Bad odours are also indicative of the presence of mould and mildew.
- To get rid of these bad odours, you must deodorise the carpet.
- Mix 10 drops of your favourite essential oil in a small container with baking soda and sprinkle this mixture on your carpet.
- Let it settle for a few minutes.
- Lastly, vacuum your carpet.
- By now your carpet should be emanating a refreshing fragrance.
Should You Hire A Professional Service Provider for Deep Cleaning Your Carpet?
Deep cleaning your carpet is time-consuming and labour-intensive, not to mention that you require specialised equipment, like a steam cleaner to ensure that it is effective. Stubborn stains and deep-seated dirt further add to the quantum of work.
Rather than deep clean the carpet yourself, you can consider hiring a professional service provider and following are some of the reasons that justify this option –
- Time-Saving and Convenient
As compared to routine vacuum cleaning, deep cleaning is labour-intensive, strenuous and time-consuming. Hiring a service provider would ensure completion within the shortest possible time and leave your carpet looking vibrant while you sit back, relax and wait for the personnel to finish their task.
- Availability of Right Tools
Another important reason for hiring professional carpet cleaners is that they would have the right equipment to tackle various issues that might be plaguing your carpet. If you steam clean the carpet yourself, you will have to rent the steam cleaner and more importantly learn to how to operate it correctly. Professional carpet cleaners, on the other hand, will bring their own steam cleaner to your home along with other equipment to deep clean your carpet.
- Expertise in Handling Various Carpet Issues
Stains caused by urine require treatment that differs from that meted out to coffee or juice stains. Likewise, old stains require certain techniques for removal that are not applicable to fresh stains. Your carpet may also have burns or depressed areas that need attention. Professional carpet cleaners have the necessary knowledge and expertise when it comes to applying products and techniques to sort out specific carpet issues. If you are not sure about a stain, you might end up using the wrong solution and cause irreparable damage. With professional cleaners, you can bank upon their training to treat issues the right way.