The couch is the centerpiece of your living room. This is where you meet your friends, where you watch your football games, where your kids spend hours playing Halo 3. Sooner or later, it is bound to get dirty as kids spill their sodas, adults their beer and pizza on it. For somebody who likes to keep his house clean, keeping dirt and grime off the couch can be a nightmare.
Nowadays, more and more people are opting for microfiber couches. This great looking material feels amazing and lends a touch of elegance and grace mixed with a modern panache to any couch.
Cleaning a microfiber couch, however, can be quite a task unless you know what you are doing. Follow these tips below to learn how to clean a microfiber couch:
1. First of all, before you pick up your cleaning cloth, read the instructions on the label very carefully. Because microfiber is a synthetic material, the kind of chemicals you can use to clean it will be limited. You don’t want to make the mistake of cleaning the couch with something not recommended by the manufacturer.
2. Removing lint and pet hair from a microfiber couch is pretty straightforward – just use the upholstery attachment of a vacuum cleaner. You will have to clean the couch every three-four weeks, especially if you have a pet in the house.
3. If there is any spillage, treat it immediately. Letting a spill dry will make it much harder to get rid of. You should use an absorbent cloth to blot a spill until it is dry. Never try to rub a spill – it’ll only make matters worse.
4. Minor stains can be easily removed using a mild detergent solution. Spray a little detergent on to the stain and blot it out using an absorbent cotton cloth. Remember not to scrub the stain as it can damage the microfiber upholstery.
5. Unless your couch manufacturer prohibits it, you can get rid of major stains using dry cleaning products. These are quite powerful and can easily damage your couch upholstery if you don’t take proper care while using them. Remember to consult the instructions that came with the couch to see what kind of dry cleaning products can be used.
For a thorough cleaning, it is recommended that you take the help of professional cleaners. The beauty and elegance of microfiber couches can be destroyed very easily if you don’t take proper care while cleaning them. If you feel that a stain is too large for you to handle, do not hesitate to consult a professional. They are relatively cheap and will ensure that your beautiful couch stays beautiful.
Source by John Newcomb